A plan to allow quarantine-free travel between Hong Kong and Singapore, delayed last month as Covid-19 cases began surging in Hong Kong, has now been pushed back beyond the end of the year.
The travel bubble, announced on Nov. 11, was set to begin on Nov. 22, but authorities delayed it by two weeks after Hong Kong was hit by dozens of new cases.
On Tuesday, after Hong Kong announced a host of stringent new measures to curb the growing outbreak, Singapore’s civil aviation authority said the two governments had agreed to delay the start of the travel bubble again, until after the end of 2020. It said they would review an exact start date in late December.
Hong Kong has seen a surge in infections in the past two weeks, after keeping daily new cases largely to the single digits and teens since late August. The city reported a recent high of 115 new cases on Sunday.
City officials said Monday that bars and many other indoor services would close, students would move to online instruction and civil servants would begin working from home.
The city has kept its caseload relatively low throughout the pandemic, requiring people to wear masks in public and quarantine on entry from abroad. It also pursues aggressive testing and contact tracing.